Fabio Ruggiero's website
A compass-like biped robot can go down a gentle slope without the need for actuation through a proper choice of its dynamic parameter and starting from a suitable initial condition. The addition of control actions is requested to generate additional gaits and robustify the existing one. An interconnection and damping assignment passivity-based control, rooted within the port-Hamiltonian framework, is designed to generate further gaits with respect to state-of-the-art methodologies, enlarge the basin of attraction of existing gaits, and further robustify the system against controller discretization and parametric uncertainties. Other developed techniques use fractional-order sliding mode controllers for generic planar biped robots. Fabio Ruggiero is also very interested in the mathematical connection between biped robots and non-prehensile manipulation control.
Review regarding the connection between biped and non-prehensile manipulation control:
- Y. Farid, B. Siciliano, F. RUGGIERO, Review and descriptive investigation of the connection between bipedal locomotion and non-prehensile manipulation, in Annual Re-views in Control, vol. 53, pp. 51-69, 2022, DOI: 10.1016/j.arcontrol.2022.04.009.
- P. Arpenti, F. Ruggiero, V. Lippiello, A constructive methodology for the IDA-PBC of underactuated 2-DoF mechanical systems with explicit solution of PDEs, in International Journal of Control, Automation and Systems, vol. 20, pp. 283-297, 2022, DOI: 10.1007/s12555-020-0839-1.
- Y. Farid, F. RUGGIERO, Finite-time disturbance reconstruction and robust fractional-order controller design for hybrid port-Hamiltonian dynamics of biped robots, in Robotics and Autonomous Systems, vol. 144, 103836, 2021, DOI: 10.1016/j.robot.2021.103836.
- Y. Farid, F. RUGGIERO, Finite-time extended state observer and fractional-order slid- ing mode controller for impulsive hybrid port-Hamiltonian systems with input delay and actuators saturation: Application to ball-juggler robots, in Mechanism and Machine Theory, vol. 167, 104577, 2022, DOI: 10.1016/j.mechmachtheory.2021.104577.
- P. Arpenti, F. RUGGIERO, V. Lippiello, Interconnection and damping assignment passivity-based control for gait generation in underactuated compass-like robots, 2020 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Paris, F, pp. 9802- 9808, 2020, DOI: 10.1109/ICRA40945.2020.9196598.
- P. Arpenti, A. Donaire, F. RUGGIERO, V. Lippiello, Energy pumping-and-damping for gait robustification of underactuated planar biped robots within the hybrid zero dynamics framework, 2020 IEEE-RAS 20th International Conference on Humanoid Robots, Germany, pp. 415-421, 2021, DOI: 10.1109/HUMANOIDS47582.2021.9555787.
- P. Arpenti, A. Donaire, F. RUGGIERO, V. Lippiello, Uniform global exponential stablizing passivity-based tracking controller applied to planar biped robots, 2022 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Kyoto, Japan, pp. 6739- 6745, 2022, DOI: 10.1109/IROS47612.2022.9981206.